Whether you are newly diagnosed with Type 1, Type 2, or gestational diabetes, or have had diabetes for a number of years, managing diabetes requires education and support. A Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is a professional who is licensed to provide comprehensive and specialized education for diabetes self-management.
The CDE’s at EduCare are here to help guide you through the process of learning how to live a healthy life from pediatrics to geriatrics. Topics include:
- Understanding the disease process
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Use and understanding of medications (oral, insulin/injectable therapy)
- Risk reduction
- Carbohydrate counting
- Dining out and meal planning
- Exercise benefits and precautions
- Stress management and coping skills
- Insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors
Education can be provided in a variety of formats including individual consultations, classes, home visits, school visits and support groups.
At Educare we understand having a child with diabetes can be challenging and requires more than just medical management. As CDE’s we are able to provide children and families a supportive environment that meets your emotional and medical needs. All our educators are experienced in pediatric diabetes management and provide specialized education sessions that can include:
- In office or in home visits with immediate and/or extended family or caregivers
- School visits with administration and/or staff